Finding out about your family history is easy:
- Ask a family history transcription agent, or
- Follow the step-by-step guide to online searching, or
- Email for assistance with your online searching, or
Family history certificates are unrestricted, so no identification is required for:
- Registry records from 1856 to ...
- births over 100 years
- deaths over 30 years
- marriages over 50 years.
- Early church records (1788 - 1855 baptism, marriage, burial)
Search over 18 million records for free...
- After viewing search results, your option is to purchase a certificate and obtain all the information available. By supplying a registration number, you get a discounted fee of $31.00 (normally $44.00).
- We use the latest high security technology to protect your personal and financial details. On-line certificates are posted by standard mail and do not incur postage fees.
- If you don't want to order online, you have the option to complete a Family history application form and mail it in. Again, if you supply the registration number, you receive the discounted fee.
Search functions for births and deaths is slightly different to marriages. "Skype" Users - note that Skype may interfere with normal running of the online family history system.
- Enter the last name and/or given name of the person you wish to search. (Only first given name and second initial, otherwise the record may not be found.)
- For Marriages, enter the bride and/or groom's last name and/or given name. (Only first given name and second initial)
- Select the search type (Births or Deaths), or to change to Marriage search from Births and Deaths, select “Go to Marriages Search” button on right of screen.
- Enter the range of years when the event may have occurred. The date must be entered in four (4) digits and you must enter a date in the 'from' field.
- If you know the district in which the birth, death or marriage event was registered, enter the name of the district. This field is optional.
- If you are satisfied with the details you have entered, click 'Search Now'. You can also click 'Reset' if you want to clear all the fields you have entered. The system will retrieve matches to the search criteria you have entered .
View search results
- You receive up to 20 search results per page. Maximum number of records you may retrieve per search is 1000. Any records over this limit will not be displayed.
- A search result contains the following
- Registration Number
- First name
- Last name
- Year the event was registered
- District (place the event was registered)
- Parent's given names
- The first column of the search results contains a unique Registration Number for the event. It shows a code and the year the event was registered (not necessarily the year it occurred).
Other columns show the last name and given name of the person you are searching for. If you also specified a father's or mother's given name, the search result will return with that person's father's or mother's name.
For a Marriage Search, the search results show the bride and groom's last names and given name(s). The bride's last name is her name prior to marriage.
The next column shows the district where the event was registered (not necessarily where the event actually occurred).
The last column allows you to purchase the Family History Certificate.
You may also purchase Family History Certificates from the search results.
- Select Buy Now beside the correct Index.
- The next screen details the certificates you have selected. Check your order to ensure the correct certificates are displayed.
- Either select Purchase to continue to the next screen, or you can go back to the Search Results screen and select other certificates to purchase.
- If you decide to continue searching the Historical Indexes, click on the Search Historical Records in the breadcrumb field above or click on Reset on the top right of the Search screen.
- If you select Purchase you continue to the Purchase Certificates screen. When you have read the purchase terms, please select either 'Purchase' to continue or 'Back to View Order' which returns you to the previous screen.
- If you selected 'Purchase' enter your personal details. From this point, you have entered the secure area of the website. You will see a yellow padlock on the bottom right of the screen. Enter your details, then click on 'Next'.
- Now enter your credit card details. When completed, click 'Next'.
- The next screen confirms the details of your order. Please check the details to see if correct — click:
- 'Back' to re-enter your Credit Card details if they are incorrect,
- 'Submit' to continue with order; or
- 'Cancel' to cancel the order and return to the Search Results screen.
- The next screen completes your order and provides you with a Reference Number for inquiries. 'Print' a copy of this page or view and save it to your computer. Alternatively, return to the 'Search Results' screen or 'Family History' section.
Family history transcription agents provide full and partial transcriptions, or verification of details. A good idea if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates. For more details and fees, see below.
- Marilyn Rowan | Tel 61 (2) 4658 1206 | Fax 61 (2) 4658 1296
Email email@example.com | Web nswtranscriptions.com.au
- Joy Murrin | Tel 61 (2) 9585 1187 | Fax 61 (2) 9585 1486
Email firstname.lastname@example.org | Web www.joymurrin.com.au
- Laurie Turtle | Tel 61 (2) 4573 1559 | Fax 61 (2) 4573 0536
Email email@example.com | Web home.iprimus.com.au/lturtle