- Start Searching online now...
- Update on improvements
- Step by Step Guide & Search Tips
- Ask a family history transcription agent
- Need more help
Family history certificates are "unrestricted" records.
This means no identification is required to apply, for:
- Registry records (from 1856) up to:
- Births over 100 years ago; Deaths over 30 years ago; and Marriages over 50 years ago.
- Early Church records (1788 - 1855)
- Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials.
After viewing search results, your option is to purchase a certificate and obtain all the information available. By supplying a registration number, you get a discounted fee of $31 (normally $44).
We use the latest high security technology to protect your personal and financial details. On-line certificates are posted by standard mail and do not incur postage fees. The option to order an email of a PDF will also be available soon.
We apologise for any inconvenience while some issues are currently being investigated. District information is not displaying in the online search, and some performance issues have been reported.
1. Start searching online now...
- when you click on the link above, the Family History Search window will open.
2. Search Type
- click the drop down arrow, and select Births, Deaths or Marriages.
3. Date of Event Range
- click the drop down arrow, and select Yes.
- then two boxes will appear Date of Event From and Date of Event To.
- You will need enter a range of years to be searched.
4. Enter your search details
- Searches are not case specific. You can use upper and lower case and get the same search result.
- Some fields are compulsory to complete. For example, Family Name or First Given Name/Other Given name(s).
- Try using the Tab key to to tab through additional fields.
5. You can use Wildcards
- '?' can replace a single character. e.g. R?n will match Ron, Ran etc. It will not match Roan.
- '*' can replace one to many characters. e.g. R*n will match Ron, Ran, Roan etc. If you entered 'Bro*' it would match any word starting with Bro e.g. Brooks, Bromley, Bros.
- In some cases the second given name is recorded in the indexes as an initial. This will allow you to narrow your search if you know the initial of the second given name. Note that a search for John R will return a match but a search for John Richard won’t if the record only contains John R. (However, a search for John R* will return John R and John Richard).
6. Error Messages
- Error messages will appear in red text. Use an asterisk '*' on it's own for a compulsory field where you don't have the required information. Some examples of error messages:
- Family Name: Field can only contain letters, ',*,?,@ and spaces
- First Given Name: Field can only contain letters, ',-,*,? and @. Spaces are not allowed
- Other Given Names: Field can only contain letters, ',*,?,@ and spaces
7. District the Event was Registered
- The ‘district’ field can be left blank if unknown.
- The registration date represents the year the event was registered, not the year the event occurred. Therefore the registration date can be somewhat later than the actual date of the life event.
8. Scrambled results for given names
- A search with the given names Mary Jane will bring back results for Mary Jane, Jane Mary, Mary X, Jane X, X Jane, and X Mary (X representing any other given name).
9. Review your Search Results
- Search Results will be displayed, with options to:
- Add to Order - from the Search Results make a selection and Add to Order.
- Modify Criteria - to not make a selection and to change your search criteria.
- Continue Searching - returns to Family History Search page.
- You an continue to Add to Order, Modify Criteria, and Continue Searching multiple times.
- The Search Results screen also shows PDF Availability for each record. Readily Available records means that the record can be automatically emailed once a successful order has been placed.
- Up to 10 records display on a Search Results page. To see additional pages, at the bottom of the window:
- You can click on the Page Number, or
- '>' to go forward one page; '>>' to go to the last page;
- or '<' to go back one page; '<<' to go to the first page.
10. Order Details
- Once you have selected your records and added to order, the Order Details are displayed.
- You can go directly to your Order Details at any time by selecting Your order from the top right hand corner of the screen.
- From the Order Details select Delivery Method for each request.
- There are two options in the drop down list Email and Post. However, an automatic email can only be done if the PDF Availability was set to Readily Available. If selecting Post, or Email where PDF Availability is set to Unavailable, then standard turnaround times apply.
11. Update Order and Purchase
- Once Delivery Method is selected for each, select Update Order
- Then select Purchase.
12. Applicant Details
- A new screen with Applicant Details appears.
- Complete all the fields. Contact Phone Number and Email Address are also compulsory.
- Standard Australian Address: the fields for Country defaults to Australia and State/Territory to NSW. You can change any of these fields by selecting in the drop down box.
- International Address: where a country other than Australia is selected, the address field changes to a free-form text box.
13. Transaction Summary or Discard
- Selecting Next will proceed to Transaction Summary or Discard proceeds back to Order Details.
- Transaction Summary lists the type of transactions and whether the order is to be emailed or posted.
- Selecting Back will return to Applicant Details, Discard will return to the Order Details, and
Submit Payment to Payment screen.
- Payment can only be made by credit card. Card holder name, Credit card number and Expiry date must be completed.
- Selecting Cancel from the Payment page will return to the Transaction Summary page with a message that payment could not be processed. This page is also displayed if credit card payment is submitted but fails.
- From the Payment page select Submit Payment.
- Transaction Summary. A Successful Payment will display a confirmation message.
- A Tax Invoice will be automatically emailed to the address provided.
Family history transcription agents provide full and partial transcriptions, or verification of details. A good idea if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates. For more details and fees, see below.
- Marilyn Rowan — P: 61 (2) 4658 1206 | Fax: 61 (2) 4658 1296
E: firstname.lastname@example.org — W: nswtranscriptions.com.au
- Joy Murrin — P: 61 (2) 9585 1187 | Fax: 61 (2) 9585 1486
E: email@example.com — W: joymurrin.com.au
- Laurie Turtle — P: 61 (2) 4573 1559 | Fax: 61 (2) 4573 0536
E: firstname.lastname@example.org —W: home.iprimus.com.au/lturtle
- For questions about the the indexes: email the Family History team, or
- For technical or system issues: email Technical support, or
- If you'd prefer to apply by post, complete the form: Family history postal applications.