BDM Home > Marriages and relationships

Single status certificate

On this page:

    A single status certificate certifies that you have not been married in New South Wales during a specified period. You may require a single status certificate if you intend to be married overseas or if you're returning to your country of residence to be married. 

    You can apply to prove your single status for a given period in NSW.

    Who can apply

    You can apply for single status certificate if you are a NSW resident, a previous NSW resident or an authorised representative. A single status certificate only covers the period in which you are a resident of NSW. 

    Before you apply for a single status certificate, check with the consulate, embassy or local representative of the country in which you wish to marry to understand their legal requirements. You may be required to take your single status certificate to the Department of Foreign Affairs for an apostille stamp. 

    What you'll need

    You must provide proof of identification with your single status certificate application. To apply for your own certificate you must provide:

    • three forms of ID
    To apply for a certificate on behalf of another person you must provide:


    If you have never previously married, the single status search will start from the date you turned 16 to the present date. If you arrived in Australia after the age of 16, the search will start from your date of arrival. If you have previously married and divorced, the search will start from the date of divorce.

    Period of Search



    1–10 years
    11–20 years
    21–30 years


    Please provide three forms of current ID, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3. If you're unable to provide ID from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three forms of ID. At least two of these must be from Category 3. If you're unable to comply with these requirements, please contact us for further advice.

    Identification documents

    If born in Australia:

    • An Australian birth certificate

    Record of immigration status:

    • Citizenship certificate
    • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
    • New Zealand birth certificate
    • Australian driver's licence
    • Australian passport
    • Firearms licence
    • Foreign passport
    • Proof of age card
    • Medicare card
    • Centrelink or department of Veterans Affairs card
    • Security/Crowd control licence
    • Tertiary education institution ID card
    • Recent utility account with current residential address

    Processing time

    Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application. Certificates are delivered by registered post when you apply by post, online or with Service NSW.

    For detail information about certificate turnaround time see Processing times

    How to apply

    Download a Single status certificate application - PDF