BDM Home > Marriages and relationships

​Marriage certificate

On this page:

    The standard marriage certificate is an official certified copy of the registration data held by the NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages. Before a marriage certificate can be produced, your marriage must be registered. The marriage celebrant is responsible for registering the marriage within 14 days of the ceremony. 

    Who can apply

    You can apply for a marriage certificate if the marriage occurred in NSW. Marriage certificates are only available to either person named on the certificate or their authorised representative.

    If you are either person named in the marriage, the certificate can be issued to you.

    If you are a child of the marriage, the certificate can be issued to you if the married couple are deceased. You must provide at least three forms of identification.

    If you are not one of the persons named in the marriage or their child, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:  

    Commemorative marriage certificate 

    We offer a range of commemorative marriage certificates which are ideal for framing. To view our latest designs please see Commemorative marriage certificates >>


    ​Standard marriage certificate*
    ​Commemorative marriage certificate package
    ​Commemorative marriage certificate

    *A fee of $28 applies for priority processing (standard marriage certificate only).


    Please provide three forms of current ID, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3. If you're unable to provide ID from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three forms of ID. At least two of these must be from Category 3. If you're unable to comply with these requirements, please contact us for further advice.


     Identification documents


    If born in Australia:

    • An Australian birth certificate

    Record of immigration status:

    • Citizenship certificate
    • New Zealand citizenship Certificate together with passport
    • New Zealand birth certificate
    • Australian driver's licence
    • Australian passport
    • Firearms licence
    • Foreign passport
    • Proof of age card
    • Medicare card
    • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card
    • Security/Crowd control licence
    • Tertiary education institution ID card
    • Recent utility account with current residential address

    Processing time

    Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application. Certificates are delivered by registered post when you apply by post, online or with Service NSW. 

    For detailed information about certificate turnaround time see Processing times >>