BDM Home > Changes and corrections

​Replace a change of name certificate

On this page:

    The Registry issues certificates for changes of name which have been completed in New South Wales after 1 April 1996. You can apply for a replacement certificate if the change of name is registered in NSW.

    Who can apply

    If you have changed your name or your child's name and require a replacement of the certificate, you can apply for a replacement change of name certificate.

    If you are the parent of a child over the age of 18, you are entitled to the replacement certificate if you applied for the original change of name.

    If you are not the person named on the certificate or you did not apply for the original change of name, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:

    What you'll need

    If you are applying for your own certificate, you must provide the following:

    • Three forms of your own ID

    If you are applying for a certificate on behalf of another person, you must provide the following:


    ​Replace a change of name certificate
    *A fee of $28 applies for priority processing.


    You must provide at least three forms of current ID. At least one form of ID must be provided from Category 1 and must contain your full name, date of birth and place of birth. The other forms of ID (at least two) must be provided from Category 2 and 3, or 3 and 4. If you are unable to comply with these requirements and need further advice, please contact us

    ​Identification documents
    ​If born in Australia:

    • An Australian birth certificate
    Record of immigration status:

    • Citizenship certificate
    • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
    • New Zealand birth certificate
    • ​Australian driver's licence
    • Australian passport
    • Firearms licence
    • Foreign passport
    • Proof of age card
    • ​Medicare card
    • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card
    • Security/Crowd control licence
    • Tertiary education institution ID card
    • ​Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last three months)

    Processing time

    Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application. Certificates are delivered by registered post when you apply by post, online or with Service NSW.

    For detailed information about certificate turnaround time see Processing times

    How to apply

    Apply online to Replace a change of name certificate >>