BDM Home > Changes and corrections

Correct an entry

On this page:

    If you believe an error has been made on your certificate you can apply to correct an entry. This does not include changing a child's nameadding a parent's details, or amending family history records.

    Registry records are historic documents and can usually only be amended to reflect information that was correct at the time of the event. Names or addresses of parents, their ages, occupations or places of birth or marriage will not be updated to reflect more recent circumstances.

    What you'll need

    You must provide supporting documents with your application to confirm the correct information. Photocopies confirming the correct information may include:

    • Passports
    • Migration documents
    • Birth or marriage certificates of the parents
    • Other documentation confirming the spelling of names, and the correct date of events.
    All documents except foreign passports must be current. All certificates with incorrect information must be surrendered to the Registry. Overseas documents must be translated into English by a NAATI accredited translator.


    Registry error
    Where the Registry has made an error, a replacement certificate will be made in exchange for the incorrect certificate
    ​ No charge
    ​Client error
    Where incorrect or incomplete information was supplied at the time of registration, and a replacement certificate is required
    Minimum fee of $60 (including postage and handling)


    You must provide at least three forms of ID, one of each from categories 1, 2 and 3. If you’re unable to provide ID from categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three forms of ID. At least two of these must be from category 3. If you’re unable to comply with these requirements, please contact us for further advice.


     Identification documents


    If born in Australia:

    • An Australian birth certificate

    Record of immigration status:

    • Citizenship certificate
    • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
    • New Zealand birth certificate 
    • Australian driver's licence
    • Australian passport
    • Firearms licence
    • Foreign passport
    • Proof of age card
    • Medicare card
    • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card
    • Security/Crowd control licence
    • Tertiary education institution ID card
    • Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)

    Processing time

    Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application. Certificates are delivered by registered post when you apply by post, online or with Service NSW.

    For detailed information about certificate turnaround time see Processing times.

    How to apply

    Download Correct an entry application - PDF