Amend birth certificate

Where a life event occurred in NSW, you can apply to add, correct or modify registered information if it is not a "family history" record:

 Costs include amending and issue of certificate

 Apply to correct an entry

  • A standard certificate fee applies (including postage and handling) if incorrect or incomplete information was supplied at time of registration.
  • There is no charge if the Registry made the error on the certificate.


Apply to add a parent to a birth certificate

  • Fee includes the issue of a standard birth certificate.


Adding a parent's details

Adding a father's details

  • The Registry allows an addition to details on a birth certificate to add the biological father's details. Only the biological parents of a child may add a father's details to a birth registered in NSW.      

Adding a mother's details

  • The Miscellaneous Act Amendment (Same Sex Relationships) Act came into effect on 17 September 2008. Subject to the requirements of the Act, both women in a same sex de facto relationship may now be recognised on their child's birth certificate. Where a woman is in a same sex de facto relationship, the other mother can be added to the birth registration under the provisions of S.14 Status of Children Act, 1996.

Proof of Identification (ID) 

Each parent must provide at least 3 individual forms of ID from the list below with the application.

At least one form of ID must be provided from Category 1 and must contain your full name, date of birth and place of birth.

The other forms of ID (at least two) must be provided from Category 2 and 3, or 3 and 4. 


Identity Documents

If born in Australia:

  • An Australian Birth Certificate

Record of immigration status:

  • Citizenship Certificate
  • New Zealand Citizenship Certificate together with passport
  • New Zealand Birth Certificate
  • Australian Driver's Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Firearms Licence
  • Foreign Passport
  • Proof of Age card
  • Medicare Card
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Card
  • Security/Crowd Control Licence
  • Tertiary Education Institution ID Card
  • Recent utility account with current residential address
  • Please note that a Visa Endorsement in your passport is insufficient to confirm Permanent Resident Status.
  • Photocopies must be must be certified as true copies of the original by a qualified witness.
  • If you are unable to comply with these requirements contact us for further advice.