Protecting Your Privacy
Every aspect of the Registry's business will be conducted with sensitivity in the knowledge that the information we record and release concerns significant personal and emotional events in people's lives.
The records of the Registry contain sensitive and personal information about you and your family. Maintaining the privacy of our customers is an essential part of the our service and coupled with the rise in identity fraud, the Registry has stringent identification policies in place. For these reasons, certificates are catagorised as 'restricted' or 'unrestricted'.
- Restricted — only available to the person named on the certificate or in some instances, their next of kin. At least three forms of identification are required.
- Unrestricted — known as Family History Certificates and are available to anyone if the event occurred in the following years:
- Births: occuring 100 years ago or more
- Marriages: occuring 50 years ago or more
- Deaths: occuring 30 years ago or more
The Registry guarantees that your personal details will be kept private at all times and that no information will be released to those not entitled.
Back to Top