We issue Birth Certificates for births or adoptions that occurred in NSW only. For births outside NSW, please contact the relevant Registry Offices in Australia.
For a birth which occured over 100 years ago, please see Family History Certificates.
Applications must be accompanied by Proof of Identification to ensure your privacy is maintained and information is only released to those entitled.
Who Can Apply
If you are the person named on the certificate or a parent of the person, please provide:
- at least three (3) forms of your identification with your application.
If you are not the person named on the certificate or their parent, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- Provide written authority and identification from the person named on the certificate or one of their parents, plus your own identification.
- Show Power of Attorney relating to the person named on the certificate or one of their parents.
- Be a solicitor/welfare group acting for the person named on the certificate.
- Be a legally appointed guardian of the person named on the certificate.
Solicitors Applying for a Certificate
Where solicitors apply for certificates on behalf of clients, they must provide:
- a letter on company letterhead stating the reason required ("legal" is not sufficient; a specific reason is needed i.e. Probate, Estate Administration, etc), together with the name of the client for whom the solicitor is acting.
- The letter must be accompanied by:
- a completed application form, and
- a copy of your Law Society ID Card or Practising Certificate.
- Solicitor's name must be written in the Applicant's Details section. Payment must be made with a company or trust cheque, or company credit card.
Back to Top