The Registry records details of legal adoptions finalised in NSW.
Adoption applications require complex and extensive searches therefore no exact time limit for processing these applications can be given. For enquiries regarding adoptions please contact:
Adoption Information Unit
Family and Community Services (FACS)
Locked Bag 4028, Ashfield NSW 2131
Phone: 1300 799 023 (local call within Australia)
Fax: 02 9716 3400
You will need to apply for a supply authority for the following:
- Adoptee - to obtain your pre adoptive or adoptive persons birth record.
- Birth parent - to obtain adoption information of your child, including an adopted person's birth record.
After a Supply Authority has been issued to you by FACS, you may then apply to the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages for information on the adoption. Your application must include three (3) forms of your identification along with the certificate fee.
All certificates are distributed through Registered post and include postage and handling.
- $48.00 - Pre adoptive certificate
includes the information provided at the time of birth by birth parent/s. This cannot be used for identification purposes and will be stamped with ‘Not for Official Use'.
- $48.00 - Adopted person's birth record
includes pre and post adoption birth information on one document. This cannot be used for identification purposes.
- $58.00 - marriage search
includes a result of search with parties names, date and place of marriage only.
- $48.00 - death search
includes name, date and place of death, cause of death and burial or cremation details of deceased only.
- $48.00 - extract of a birth parent's birth record (if born in NSW) includes subject's name, date and place of birth and subject's parents given names only.