Search Tips for Historical Index Searches
The Index Search service allows users to search for Index information on Births ( 1788 to 100 years ago), Deaths (1788 to 30 years ago) and Marriages (1788 to 50 years ago).
Searches are not case specific. You can use upper and lower case and get the same search result.
Name to be Searched
- You must type a name in either of the name fields to receive a search result. This area cannot be left blank.
- If you want to refine your search, also include the father’s or mother’s given names.
- The Births and Deaths Search result will give you a last name, given name and the parent’s first name.
- The Marriages Search result will give you the bride and groom’s last name and given names.
- The bride’s last name is her name prior to marriage.
The following metacharacters can be used anywhere in a word:
- '?' can replace a single character. e.g. R?n will match Ron, Ran etc.
It will not match Roan.
- You may put more than one word (separated by a space) in the Last
name and Given names fields. This is an AND search. This means that
both of the words you entered have to match the field to get a match.
- In some cases the second given name is recorded in the indexes as
an initial. This will allow you to narrow your search if you know the
initial of the second given name. Note that a search for John R will
return a match but a search for John Richard won’t if the record only
contains John R.
Records to be Searched
- Select the appropriate radio button (births/deaths) for the record you wish to search.
- To change from searching births/deaths to searching marriages, select the ‘Go to Marriages Search’ button on the right side of the search area.
- To change from searching marriages to searching births/deaths, select the ‘Go to Births/Deaths Search’ button on the right side of the search area.
District the Event was Registered
- This ‘district’ field can be left blank if unknown.
- The registration date represents the year the event was registered, not the year the event occurred. Therefore the registration date may be later than the actual date of the birth, death or marriage recorded.
Years to be Searched
- When entering the year to be searched, you must enter a four-digit
year in the ‘from’ field.
- The ‘to’ field can be left blank. This will result in a search of
only the year entered in the ’from’ field.